Canadian Immigration lawyer assisting client with Visitor Visa

Some foreign nationals who wish to visit or travel through Canada must first obtain a Visitor’s Visa, a type of temporary resident visa.  Whether or not individuals will require a temporary resident visa is determined based on their citizenship.  Our Ottawa immigration lawyers at Gerami Law PC are experienced and familiar with the procedures related to obtaining visitor’s visas and will assist and guide you throughout the application process.

For a list of all the countries and territories whose citizens need a visa, please see:

Foreign nationals who are exempt from a temporary resident visa requirement may still need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. For more information on eTA, please see:


Foreign nationals requiring visas must also meet the following requirements:

  • Possess a valid travel document, such as a passport;
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you have ties to your country of origin, such as a employment, home, financial assets and family, which will compel you to return;
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit;
  • Have sufficient funds for your stay;
  • Be in good health (a medical examination may be requested);
  • Have no criminal or immigration related offences;
  • You may also need a letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.

A foreign national may also need to meet other requirements for a visitor visa, such as biometrics, depending on their country of nationality.

Extending Your Visitor’s Visa

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must check your temporary resident visa to make sure you apply before its expiry date. You should apply 30 days before your status expires. If you apply to extend your visa, and it expires while you are waiting for a decision, you still have temporary resident (visitor) status, which is known as “implied status”.

For more information on the Visitor’s Visa, please contact one of Gerami Law PC’s immigration and refugee lawyers.