Canadian Immigration lawyer assisting client with Business Visa

Our Ottawa immigration lawyers at Gerami Law PC have the experience in assisting business visitors to obtain a temporary resident visa.  You may qualify as a business visitor if you plan to visit Canada temporarily to:

  • look for ways to grow your business,
  • invest, or
  • advance your business relationships.

If you are a business visitor and you need a visa to visit Canada, our lawyers will prepare your temporary resident visa. As a business visitor, you must demonstrate the following:

  • you plan to stay for less than six months;
  • you do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market;
  • your business activity must be international in scope;
  • your main place of business, and source of income and profits, is outside Canada;
  • you have documents that support your application; and
  • you meet Canada’s basic entry requirements, because you
    • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
    • have enough money for your stay and to return home,
    • plan to leave Canada at the end of your visit and
    • are not a criminal, security, or health risk to Canadians


  • buying Canadian goods or services for a foreign business or government,
  • taking orders for goods or services,
  • going to meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs,
  • giving after-sales service (managing, not doing hands-on labour),
  • being trained by a Canadian parent company that you work for outside Canada,
  • training employees of a Canadian branch of a foreign company or
  • being trained by a Canadian company that has sold you equipment or services.

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, a U.S. or Mexican national may also take part in other activities, such as research, marketing and general services. For more information, see the Global Affairs Canada website.

If you plan to stay longer than six months or plan to work in Canada, you may be considered a temporary worker and have to apply for a work permit.

If you need a temporary resident visa, you must send certain documents when you apply:

  • a letter of support from the parent company;
  • a letter of invitation from your potential business host in Canada; and
  • 24-hour contact details for that person.

For more information on the Business Visitor Visas please contact one of Gerami Law PC’s immigration and refugee lawyers.