Canadian Immigration lawyer assisting client with passport refusals

Former Canadian citizens who willingly gave up their citizenship in the past can apply for resumption of Citizenship.

Our immigration and refugee lawyers can assist you by assessing your options to resume your Canadian citizenship. We will advocate on your behalf before Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada officials and ensure you receive strong representation.

You may be eligible for resumption of citizenship if:

  • You were formerly a Canadian Citizen,
  • You have now become a permanent resident; and
  • You have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 365 days during the two years immediately before you apply.

You are not eligible for resumption of citizenship if:

  • Your citizenship was revoked
  • You have been convicted of an indictable offense under the Citizenship Act within the three years previous to your application
  • You are currently charged with an indictable offense;
  • You are in prison, on parole or on probation;
  • You are under a removal order; or
  • You are under investigation for a war crime or crimes against humanity